Emmina's Diary

It all began with 2 pink lines.... This blog follows the ups and downs of pregnancy in Italy, through the experiences of an English expat for whom "Under the Tuscan Sun" might as well be "The Satanic Verses"...

giovedì 24 giugno 2010

Two pink lines


I had imagined the moment a million times in my head, but nothing could have prepared me for how I felt when I saw those two pink lines. We had only just started “trying” and I was convinced that it wouldn’t happen the first month. To be honest, I wasn’t even sure I wanted it to happen straight away, but there they were – 2 pink lines which signaled the start of a new chapter and which quite literally took my legs out from under me. We went to bed at 2am that night, having asked ourselves and each other a thousand questions, many of which remained unanswered… “Are we really ready?”, “Will we cope financially?” “Will I have a healthy pregnancy?” Who should we tell?” “When should we tell them?” and, the most pressing so far… “What next?”. This is the thing: you imagine finding out you’re pregnant, carrying a child, giving birth and being a parent so many times throughout your life until it happens, but you don’t consider the little things – those “bureaucratic” issues that work together to make all these great things happen. I live in Italy so I already know that the “little things” will take over my life at times over the next few months, and I’m already intending not to “sweat the small stuff” as my American friends always say. Just in case I do, this blog will be there as a punching bag, but also as a place to document the amazing journey which I am undertaking and, whatever happens, which will take me somewhere I have imagined so many times but which I know I won’t fully understand until I get there.

Etichette: ,

0 Commenti:

Posta un commento

Iscriviti a Commenti sul post [Atom]

<< Home page